Monday, March 14, 2011

Contemporary Abstract Expressionist Acrylic Painting by Brad Rickerby

To Climb, 20 x 20 x 1.5", Acrylic on Canvas
Painting by Brad Rickerby
For Sale

My mind wanders often through the hundreds and hundreds of pages of traditional Chinese landscape paintings that I have viewed throughout the years. I love the Chinese landscape. It is simple. It has beautiful colors and it just looks different from Western art. I used to have all sorts of Asian (Chinese as well as Japanese and Thai) artworks hung in my office. I had some Cambodian busts as well. Not that this painting is really connected in any way to Asian art, except that I was thinking about just that art as I painted the last layer of this painting. The simplicity of the ascending line and the downward brushing of the brown and blue are my distant nod to the paintings of the East that I so adore.

There are a lot of layers to this painting. At least five, but perhaps even six of seven. I started with a base of yellow mixed with with and I just kept adding colors in a very expressionist manner. Although I made no effort to define what was to be transparent and what was to be opaque, you can still see many of the layers of colors. The final layer was done with a lot of white, spread this way and that with two inch brushes. The brown and blue descending from the line were also done with two inch brushes spreading the still wet paint gently downwards. I plan to do many more works using the same techniques!

This painting is for sale. Please contact me at brad@bradrickerby.com for details.

You can also purchase prints and giclees of this painting. Again, contact me at brad@bradrickerby.com for details.

Would you like to receive posts like this one, with original paintings and details of its creation, FREE, on a daily (or almost daily) basis? If so, just add your email address to the box in the upper left column where it says, "ADD YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS".

No comments:

Post a Comment