Thursday, March 10, 2011

Contemporary Abstract Expressionist Textured Oil Painting by Brad Rickerby

Rowboat in Marsh, 18 x 24" Oil on Canvas
Painted by Brad Rickerby

This is a palette knife painting. I started this just immediately after finishing a blue and orange schemed cityscape (of Hong Kong harbor, I'll list it here one day). I wasn't really thinking about anything other than filling the canvas with multiple tones and shades of yellow so I could start work on a complimentary scheme of yellow and purple. The marks I made in the yellow were pure abstractions. I had no idea where I was going and didn't really want to think about it at the time. I threw on some white too. You can almost never hurt an abstract by throwing on white. I mixed the left over white with the purple I was going to start with and pulled the knife over the canvas. I stepped back to look at the painting and realized that a rowboat had appeared in what was clearly a marsh!

Was it magic or luck or was it my body and my hands and my instinct telling me what do to when I didn't really want to be thinking about the process? That is a question that will never be answered, but what is important here is knowing when to stop. I have seen more painters, myself included, ruin their works by continuing to paint when clearly to all, they should have stopped.

If you would like to receive these paintings and tips which I put out on a (nearly) daily basis free by email all you have to do is leave your email address in the box at the top left labeled, SUBSCRIBE HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment