Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Contemporary Abstract Expressionist Colorful Watercolor Ink Painting by Brad Rickerby

South Pacific Sunset, 9 x 12", 
Watercolor Ink and Gouache on Paper
Painting by Brad Rickerby
Available for sale.

Wow! I love this one. For a couple of reasons. First, I love color, dynamic, saturated, full, sensual, vibrating color! Second, I used to be able to create this style of painting with fair ease. But I lost the touch. Now it seems to be back.

When I started this painting I sat with my eyes closed and saw a place that gives me joy, the Pacific Ocean. The ocean would be blue and dominant, the sky would be a sunset mixed with tropical pinks and oranges. And I would be on the beach with a Pina Colada in hand (that last part is not pictured).

Watercolor ink has to be painted quickly and there is no room for error. You can make plenty of creative changes in your thoughts but once you lay the color, if it starts to go muddy or dark, you just have to start over. I put down turquoise and tropical pinks and yellows, them blended white gouache with a brush into the blue. I put plastic wrap over the whole painting and rubbed the colors into each other and all over the paper. I put horizontal creases into the plastic wrap covering the ocean, so it would have the appearance of waves. Then I was done and loving the color.


I produce and post my abstract paintings on a regular basis, I aim for at least three or four times a week. With the picture postings are descriptions of how I created the painting, or how I felt about it or sometimes even how I sell and market my work. If you would like FREE automatic e-mails on my postings, please leave you e-mail in the FOLLOW THIS BLOG space on the upper left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment