Monday, March 7, 2011

Contemporary Abstract Expressionist Acrylic Painting by Brad Rickerby

Conflict, 9 x 12 x 1.5", Acrylic and Dry Pigment on Canvas
Painting by Brad Rickerby
Available for sale.

The blank canvas can be a truly scary thing. Sometimes I just look at it and wonder what on earth I'm going to do. This painting ended up far far from where it began. That is one of the great things about the way I work. I just let it flow. I keep changing and mixing and re-mixing the painting until I come across a combination that I like. In this case, it took a lot of revision to get the final product. I wanted a creation that looked and had the feel of an oil painting, so I started pushing around a bunch of colors in the red and blue ranges that were mixed with fiber paste medium. 


I ended up producing mud, a speciality, wiped almost all the paint and started anew. This time just a little of each color, with the fiber paste medium. When the canvas was coated, on went the white. then more white and then still more, until I had buried the drab muddy colors below, or at least almost. I pushed the white up and down and back and forth, coming up with a pattern I loved, then dropped in some blue and orange dry pigment to bring some life to all. Four layers of varnish later (the first being a spray varnish to keep the pigment attach) and the painting is ready for sale. Enjoy!!

If you would like to purchase the original painting or a Giclee or print, please contact me at brad@bradrickerby.com. This painting is on Gallery wrapped canvas. Its sides are painted and it is ready to hang.

More of my work can be seen at my website, www.colorlightmovement.com.

I produce and post my abstract paintings on a regular basis, I aim for at least three or four times a week. With the picture postings are descriptions of how I created the painting, or how I felt about it or sometimes even how I sell and market my work. If you would like FREE automatic e-mails on my postings, please leave you e-mail in the FOLLOW THIS BLOG space on the upper left side of this page.


No comments:

Post a Comment