Monday, May 2, 2011

Contemporary Abstract Expressionist Acrylic Painting by Brad Rickerby

Emotion 3,
20 x 20 x 1.5"
 Abstract Acrylic Painting on Canvas
Ready to Hang
Painting by Brad Rickerby
Available for sale.


Another in my series of emotion filled abstract expressionist paintings. As my last post, on the effect Beethoven and painting said, I'm starting to feel free, alive even, when I just let go and pour feeling, guided by just a vague outline of a plan, into these paintings. I'm starting to like the feeling of doing these paintings. It is very possible that you will see a lot more of these. On my Facebook art page www.facebook.com/bradrickerbyarts, one very kind gentleman said that these paintings reminded him of the old abstract expressionists. Since those are paintings that I love, I take his comments as a very high compliment. (If you want to "Like" me on my Facebook Arts page, that would be great!!)

The technique here is much the same as the last painting. I start off with 2" brushes and put on a dark multicolor base. I follow up with smaller and smaller brushes with a variety of different colors (I plan to start working with a more limited palette soon).All of my brush strokes, including the base coat layer are done as curves or squiggles. Any use of a straight line is always on a diagonal. I want the painting to be alive with motion. I also want the painting to have many textures. I pick up large amounts of paints on my brushes and use a couple of different kinds of acrylic media to accomplish this.In this painting I throw very little paint on at the end, the exact opposite of what I did in the painting below. This time I wanted a lot of the color from the many different layers to show through.

You can purchase the original painting or fine quality prints of this creating. Simply contact me at brad@bradrickerby.com

No comments:

Post a Comment