Saturday, April 9, 2011

Contemporary Abstract Watercolor Ink Painting by Brad Rickerby

Ferns, Abstract Watercolor Ink Painting
by Brad Rickerby
Original is Sold. Fine Art Prints Available.

This is another purely emotional, expressionistic paint. I taped the paper to the floor (it is a large work), then got the paper nice and wet. While it dried I opened many bottles of watercolor ink and eventually just started dropping in places where I felt they should go. No consideration to composition or balancing of color, just pure gut.

When the paper was filled with color I put several pieces of plastic wrap over the surface, blended the come through the wrap, and then formed color ridges by pulling and stretching the plastic wrap.

I think the final creation looks like ferns in a garden with other red and purple flowers. Abstracted, of course. This is one of those situations where you look at water you have created and figure out what it is only once the paint has dried. I think the composition works. And the colors. And I am happy that I am able to say that the creation was based on what I felt should come next. They should all turn out this well.

No comments:

Post a Comment