Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Contemporary Abstract Acrylic Palette Knife Painting by Brad Rickerby

Brilliance
Acrylic Abstract on Canvas, 6 x 6 x 7/8"
Painting by Brad Rickerby
Available for Sale

I admit to looking at the paintings of Gerhard Richter before sitting down to paint this one, so his style was in mind. I love his work, btw. And think I could be, stylistically following him. Richter and  Hans Hofmann. Both of them have the colors and the expressionism that I aspire to.

This is a small painting that started out actually being something else completely. A canvas retread if you will. I painted over the old painting with just white acrylic with molding paste. I was looking for texture that create unevenness in the paint to follow. I also let a little of the old show though, but in the end you can't see it. 

Next, after the white had dried and using a palette knife (everything in this painting was done with palette knives) I  put on olive green and a cobalt blue paint here and there to give some depth and the feeling of a background. Finally, after the blue and green had dried, I applied mixtures of reds and yellows and an orange and a white. I left some thinly applied so the background color could show through.

I out more light colors and more whites closer to the top of the canvas and made the bottom darker and heavier in the application in the application of the paint. This gives the painting a feeling of release and openness at the top and security and weigh and of being anchored at the bottom. Most side to side color streaks are run on a diagonal to give the painting more energy and tension.

No comments:

Post a Comment