Thursday, March 17, 2011

Contemporary Abstract Expressionist Acrylic Painting by Brad Rickerby

The Three of Us, 24 x 18 x 7/8", Acrylic on Canvas
Gallery Wrapped, Ready to Hang
Painting by Brad Rickerby
Available for sale.

I wanted to paint something that looked like a Rothko, a painter I really love. I took a bigger canvas than I normally use and layered large areas with red and blue paint. I used no purple paint in the background of this painting. I used two inch brushes first and then moved down to one inch brushes.  Next came the yellow, three different colors of yellow in each block. I created the darker areas by blending in just the smallest amounts of yellows compliment, purple. Really, just the smallest amount. I painted the large block first. Realize that I had lost Rothko, but liked the painting. I my creation sit on its easel for two weeks trying to determine what to do next. Then the bottom blocks filled themselves in (well, not really). 

I like the final product and I enjoyed creating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment